This is the message that I just sent my Education Law and Ethics students (the two cohorts are in Des Moines and Mason City, Iowa). Thought I’d share here too…
Time to set up Google Reader!
1. Watch this video:
2. Go to www.google.com/reader. Sign in with your new Gmail account info if need be. Once you’re in, click on the red ‘Add a subscription box’ (top left). Paste in the first URL below. Repeat for each of the remaining links on the list. When you’re done, you should have 13 ‘feeds’ in your subscription list (bottom left). Click on a specific feed name to see items from just that one. Click on ‘All items’ (top left) to see all 13 feeds mixed together.
- http://www.edjurist.com/blog/ (a CASTLE blog)
3. My goodness, what have we done? Well, we’ve just saved you time by putting ten school law-related feeds into one place. Now you’ll be up to date on all of the latest school law news and you’ll only have to go to one location (www.google.com/reader) rather than thirteen! Try to visit Google Reader at least once or twice per week just to stay current.
4. Note that you can add other feeds to Google Reader too! For example…
- http://feeds.feedburner.com/dangerouslyirrelevant (my blog)
- http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/LeaderTalk/ (another CASTLE blog)
- http://www.desmoinesregister.com/rss (click on an orange button, then add that URL to your Reader)
- http://www.globegazette.com/news/ (click on an orange button, then add that URL to your Reader)
5. Start looking for the letters ‘RSS’ and/or the little orange RSS symbol on web sites. Those tell you that you can add that site’s content to Google Reader, meaning one less place you have to visit separately on the Web. Use Google Reader to ease your personal, professional, and academic lives. See the attached file for ways you can supercharge your Google Reader experience!
6. Get in touch if you have questions / difficulty!
Google Reader Tips (click on image for larger version)
Thanks Scott – this is an excellent post that I can share with many. Much appreciated!
Just thought I’d let you know. I put you in my Goggle Reader this week…and there you popped up today! Awesome tool.
You don’t even need an RSS feed anymore: