I am on sabbatical this Spring 2023 semester, unpacking deeper learning in innovative elementary and middle schools (see my travels below). You also may be interested in my two new podcasts, LeaderTalk (interviews of principals at deeper learning schools) and Redesigning for Deeper Learning (redesigning lessons for deeper learning LIVE ON AIR).
Please get in touch if you’d like to support, chat, or learn more about any of this work!
I am a Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Colorado Denver and the Founding Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), the only university center in the U.S. dedicated to school leadership, innovation, deeper learning, and technology. I’ve worked with hundreds of schools, districts, universities, and other organizations and blog frequently here at Dangerously Irrelevant.
Below are my adventures this semester (and beyond). I am working in these key areas right now. Please get in touch if I can be of support to you!
- January 2 – Mattoon Community Schools, Mattoon, Illinois (virtual)
- January 11 – Manhattan Middle School, Boulder, Colorado
- January 17 – Peakview Academy at Conrad Ball, Loveland, Colorado
- January 20 – Anastasis Academy, Centennial, Colorado
- January 27 – eDCSD Online, Englewood, Colorado
- January 30 – Mattoon Community Schools, Mattoon, Illinois (virtual)
- February 2 – Mattoon Community Schools, Mattoon, Illinois (virtual)
- February 7 – Health Sciences High and Middle College, San Diego, California
- February 8 – High Tech Middle Media Arts, San Diego, California
- February 8 – High Tech Middle Chula Vista, Chula Vista, California
- February 9 – Design39, San Diego, California
- February 9 – Vista Innovation & Design Academy, Vista, California
- February 15 – Kentucky Department of Education (statewide; virtual)
- February 22 – Creative City Public Charter School, Baltimore, Maryland
- February 22 – City Neighbors Hamilton, Baltimore, Maryland
- February 24 – Science Leadership Academy Middle School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- February 24 – Science Leadership Academy, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- February 27 – Centre Learning Community Charter School, State College, Pennsylvania
- February 27 – Delta Program Middle School, State College, Pennsylvania
- March 2 – Hudson Valley Sudbury School, Kingston, NY
- March 2 – The Randolph School, Wappingers Falls, NY
- March 3 – The Island School, New York, New York
- March 8 – LIFT, Mattoon, Illinois
- March 18-23 – Reggio Emilia, Italy
- March 29 – Kentucky Department of Education (statewide; virtual)
- April 1 – ASCD Conference, Denver, Colorado
- April 3 – Watershed School, Boulder, Colorado
- April 5 – Kentucky Department of Education (statewide; virtual)
- April 10 – Eminence Elementary School, Eminence, Kentucky
- April 11 – Explore! Community School, Nashville, Tennessee
- April 11 – Nashville Big Picture High School, Nashville, Tennessee
- April 12 – Clayton-Bradley Academy, Maryville, Tennessee
- April 13 – Drayton Mills Elementary, Spartanburg, South Carolina
- April 13 – Anderson Mill Elementary, Moore, South Carolina
- April 14 – The Mount Vernon School, Atlanta, Georgia
- April 14 – Drew Charter School Elementary Academy, Atlanta, Georgia
- April 20 – STEM School, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
- April 21 – Embark, Denver, Colorado
- April 25 – Mountain Academy, Jackson, Wyoming
- April 27 – Impact | Puget Sound Elementary, Tukwila, Washington
- April 28 – Highline Big Picture Middle School, Burien, Washington
- May 3 – The Cottonwood School of Civics & Science, Portland, Oregon
- May 4 – Down to Earth Forest School, West Linn, Oregon
- May 5 – Cascades Academy, Bend, Oregon
- May 11 – Commonwealth Learning Partnership, Virginia (virtual)
- May 12 – Peak Expeditionary School, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
- May 12 – Jeffco Open School, Lakewood, Colorado
- May 17 – King Middle School, Portland, Maine
- May 17 – Breakwater School, Portland, Maine
- May 19 – Miscoe Hill Middle School, Mendon, Massachusetts
- May 19 – Atrium School, Watertown, Massachusetts
- June 11-14 – InnEdCO Conference, Breckenridge, Colorado
- June 24-28 – ISTE Live, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- July 11 – University of Kentucky NextGen Leadership Academy, Georgetown, Kentucky
- July 12-15 – NASSP Ignite, Denver, Colorado
- August 7 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- August 14 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- August 17 – Collegiate School, Richmond, Virginia
- August 21 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- August 28 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- September 5 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- October 6 – Colorado Association of School Boards, Grand Junction, Colorado
- October 7 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- October 25-28 – EARCOS Leadership Conference, Bangkok, Thailand
Books I read in May 2023
Books I finished reading (or rereading) in May 2023... Leaders of Their Own Learning, Ron Berger (education) Defiant, Dave Bara (science fiction) A Million Open Doors, John Barnes (science fiction) Earth Made of Glass, John Barnes (science fiction) Tress of the...
Books I read in April 2023
Books I finished reading (or rereading) in March 2023... The EduProtocol Field Guide, Marlena Hebern & Jon Corippo (education) The EduProtocol Field Guide Book 2, Marlena Hebern & Jon Corippo (education) Deploying EduProtocols, Kimberly Voge, Marlena Hebern,...
3 Colorado keynotes in 2023!
Over the past few days final arrangements have been made and... I will be keynoting three statewide conferences here in Colorado this year. Woo hoo! June 14 - InnEdCO (our state ed tech conference / state ISTE affiliate), Breckenridge October 6 - Colorado Association...
Books I read in March 2023
Books I finished reading (or rereading) in March 2023... Charter of Services of the Municipal Infant-Toddler Centres and Preschools, Municipality of Reggio Emilia (education) Sasha, Joel Shepherd (fantasy) Petrodor, Joel Shepherd (fantasy) Tracato, Joel Shepherd...
Books I read in February 2023
Books I finished reading (or rereading) in February 2023... An Ethic of Excellence, Ron Berger (education) How Children Fail, John Holt (education) The Practice, Seth Godin (marketing) The Redemption of Maribeth-5, Chloe Garner (sci fi) Beware the Dog, Dominique...
The International Schools Podcast
John Mikton and Dan Taylor were kind enough to invite me on the International Schools Podcast. John and Dan do a fantastic job of highlighting interesting things that are happening in the international schools space and they always have awesome guests on the podcast....