PLEASE READ THIS FIRST
Thank you for your interest in my work. If you need a keynote and a few breakout sessions, I can do that for you. I’ve worked with 400+ different organizations and have done many hundreds of those.
I don’t deal in empty cliches. I don’t toss around trite aphorisms or vapid platitudes. I spend most of my time with educators and organizations who are serious about the work of transforming learning, teaching, and schooling toward deeper learning, greater student agency, more authentic real-world work, and rich technology infusion. I work side-by-side with school leaders, coaches, and teachers who are rolling up their sleeves to create learning experiences that are more relevant and meaningful for students.
I’m serious about the work of changing school. If you are too, please read further and get in touch.
On a mission to make school less boring!
WORK WITH ME
Although my faculty position keeps me pretty busy, I also really enjoy working with schools and educators. Broadly speaking, my work is falling into 5 main categories right now:
- Visioning, urgency-building, and WHY we need deeper learning opportunities for students (including a strong equity emphasis)
- WHAT does deeper learning look like in practice? (folks need to “see it;” I have countless examples from schools around the world for folks to consider and discuss)
- The instructional HOW of deeper learning: Deeply practical instructional redesign of day-to-day lessons and units
- The leadership HOW of deeper learning: Deeply practical school administrator behaviors and organizational support structures that enable deeper learning and teaching to occur
- School technology leadership (many folks still need help thinking about how they can be effective leaders on the technology side of things!)
I work with teachers, instructional / technology coaches, school leaders, school board members, parents and communities… (and policymakers if they ever care to listen!). My facilitator fees are structured to encourage longer, deeper engagements that are much more impactful over time than one-off keynotes or workshops (although I often get asked to do those too and am happy to help). Our best work together happens when we have a chance to develop and refine it over time!
- See my calendar OR schedule a meeting with me
- Contact me (or my speakers agency)
- My bio and CV
- Evaluation services
- Innovation academies
- Organizations with which I have worked
Photos (feel free to edit these as desired)
If you want to know what I’m like as a presenter, here are a few examples:
- 2013 TEDxDesMoines – From fear to empowerment
- 2015 ISTE – trudacot: Rethinking technology integration
- 2015 ISTE – 3 minutes with the ISTE board
- 2012 AEA 267 – Education in a digital world
- 2010 TEDxASB – Are schools dangerously irrelevant?
Typically I need the following as a presenter:
- a projector and screen,
- laptop speakers or a room sound system loud enough for the size of the room (so participants can hear audio and video files from my laptop),
- power strip with a few free outlets,
- Internet access for myself,
- wireless microphone (preferably a lapel mic) if the room is large, and
- a small table (separate from the lectern or projector cart) on which I can put things.
My session are very interactive. You also may need a handheld microphone or two for participants during discussion or question-and-answer time. Depending on the workshop, we probably will need computers, Internet access, and power strips for your participants.
I will bring my own laptop, mouse, PowerPoint remote control, and other presentation resources. Optimal seating arrangement for participants is at small tables of 4 to 8 people each. In an ideal setting, they’d each have a laptop (or maybe a laptop for every 3-4 people) and the facility would have robust enough Internet bandwidth to handle that number of people. Please let me know how many participants there will be, how participants will be seated, whether some or all of the participants will have laptops, what the room setup looks like, bandwidth capacity of the facility, etc.
Recording My Presentations
You have both blanket permission and encouragement to record my presentations and share my materials. If you post any recordings of me online, I request that you do so publicly – not just for your membership – and that I receive the link so that I may share with others. I make all of my resources available under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International copyright license.
Webinars and Other Presentations
Sometimes I’m unavailable to come present on your home turf. If this is the case, I often am available to do a live, 30- to 90-minute webinar to your group. I’m also open to other creative digital presentation possibilities! You will need a computer with Internet access, a computer projector, and computer speakers sufficiently loud enough to reach the back row of your audience.
I stand behind my work. Folks typically are extremely pleased with my visits, but if you ever have any concerns, let me know and we’ll work it out to your satisfaction. I promise. Also, let me know if you ever want to talk with other organizations with which I’ve worked.
I run my consulting work through my private company for tax purposes. Please use the following information for checks, contracts, etc.
Dr. Scott McLeod, President
STL Associates, Inc.
2531 Columbine Circle
Lafayette, CO 80026-9143
Federal EIN: 20-1625863
Download my signed W-9 form