Am I any different than your friend or relative that insists on witnessing to you every time you see each other? Am I any different than the Hare Krishnas at the airport or the Mormons or Jehovah’s Witnesses who knock at your front door?
Seriously, am I? Let’s look at the evidence:
- Deeply-held belief in the true cause (in my case, I believe that schools need to transition into the digital, global age NOW and that leaders are the essential lever to make it happen).
- Deeply-held belief that I, rather than others, know what’s best.
- Deeply-held belief that others should be listening to me.
- Deeply-held belief that others should be acting upon what I say, preferably sooner rather than later.
- Deeply-held belief (and sometime-snarky comments) that I will be proved right in the end and that those that delay will wish that they had listened to me when they had the chance.
Passionate, visionary leadership or self-righteous, messianic arrogance? I (we?) have some hard thinking to do…