I found this map of Ray Sims’ personal learning environment via a link from Stephen Downes (thanks, Stephen!). It’s a neat idea. I’m guessing that it would be pretty informative to ask K-12 teachers and administrators to diagram their own personal learning environments and then have some discussion around some key questions:
- What sources do we tap into for our own professional learning?
- What overlaps are there between staff members?
- What gaps are there within our school organization (i.e., what learning channels should we be monitoring but aren’t)?
- What are some strategies for staying on top of the incredible wealth of information that is out there?
- How do we learn about new learning channels?
- How are we modeling ‘lifelong learning’ for our students?
- and so on…
This is cool. I may try to create my own map and see what it looks like. How about you? What does your personal learning environment look like?