I am a Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Colorado Denver and the Founding Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), the only university center in the U.S. dedicated to school leadership, innovation, deeper learning, and technology. I’ve worked with hundreds of schools, districts, universities, and other organizations and blog frequently here at Dangerously Irrelevant.
- September 12 – South Middle School, Harrisburg, South Dakota
- September 13 – Minnesota New Country School, Henderson, Minnesota
- September 14 – Avalon School, St. Paul, Minnesota
- September 18 – Polaris Charter Academy, Chicago, Illinois
- September 19 – Wingra School, Madison, Wisconsin
- September 20 – EPiC, Liberty, Missouri
- September 21 – EDGE, Liberty, Missouri
- September 28 – Virginia Association of School Superintendents (virtual)
- September 28 – Virginia School Consortium for Learning (virtual)
- October 6 – Colorado Association of School Boards, Grand Junction, Colorado
- October 7 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- October 9 – Marshalltown Learning Academy, Marshalltown, Iowa (virtual)
- October 10 – Olander School for Project-Based Learning, Fort Collins, Colorado
- October 10 – Compass Community Collaborative School, Fort Collins, Colorado
- October 10 – Futures Lab, Fort Collins, Colorado
- October 13 – Ellicott Middle School, Calhan, Colorado
- October 19-20 – Getting Smart New Pathways Convening, Tacoma, Washington
- October 25-28 – EARCOS Leadership Conference, Bangkok, Thailand
- November 15-19 – University Council for Educational Administration Annual Convention, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- November 30 – December 2 – EL National Conference, Denver, Colorado
- December 4 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- December 11 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- January 8 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- January 22 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- January 29 – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- February 8-10 – Colorado Council of the International Reading Association Conference, Denver, Colorado
- February 21-23 – CASE Winter Conference, Loveland, Colorado
- March 20-23 – EARCOS Teachers’ Conference, Bangkok, Thailand
- June 21-26 – ISTELive, Denver, Colorado
- July 13-18 – National Principals Conference, Nashville, Tennessee
If a certain kind of teaching failed to produce learning the first time, why will it suddenly produce it the second time? In many cases the children, now ashamed and angry as well as bored and confused, will do even worse than before… (Holt, How Children Fail, p. 3)...
Books I finished reading (or rereading) in August 2023... How Children Learn, John Holt (education) Recoding America, Jennifer Pahlka (technology) Divided Allegiance, Elizabeth Moon (fantasy) The Queen’s Chair, Chloe Garner (fantasy) The Faerie’s Secret, Chloe Garner...
[Students] fail because they are afraid, bored, and confused. They are afraid, above all else, of failing, of disappointing or displeasing the many anxious adults around them, whose limitless hopes and expectations for them hang over their heads like a cloud. They are...
I’m going to start posting some quotes here from John Holt’s How Children Fail, which is a classic education text about student learning (that most educators have never read?)... The bad things we assume about other people tend to become true, become "self-fulfilling...
About ten years ago when I was in Iowa, a middle school principal decided that her students weren’t trying hard enough on the state tests. So she set up a fun end-of-year field trip to the amusement park and told the students that whomever didn’t do their best during...