I am on sabbatical this Spring 2023 semester, unpacking deeper learning in innovative elementary and middle schools. You also may be interested in my two new podcasts, LeaderTalk (interviews of principals at deeper learning schools) and Redesigning for Deeper Learning (redesigning lessons for deeper learning LIVE ON AIR).
Please get in touch if you’d like to support, chat, or learn more about any of this work!
I am a Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Colorado Denver and the Founding Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), the only university center in the U.S. dedicated to school leadership, innovation, deeper learning, and technology. I’ve worked with hundreds of schools, districts, universities, and other organizations and blog frequently here at Dangerously Irrelevant.
Below are my adventures this semester (and beyond). I am working in these key areas right now. Please get in touch if I can be of support to you!
- January 2 – Mattoon Community Schools, Mattoon, Illinois (virtual)
- January 11 – Manhattan Middle School, Boulder, Colorado
- January 17 – Peakview Academy at Conrad Ball, Loveland, Colorado
- January 20 – Anastasis Academy, Centennial, Colorado
- January 27 – eDCSD Online, Englewood, Colorado
- January 30 – Mattoon Community Schools, Mattoon, Illinois (virtual)
- February 2 – Mattoon Community Schools, Mattoon, Illinois (virtual)
- February 7 – Health Sciences High and Middle College, San Diego, California
- February 8 – High Tech Middle Media Arts, San Diego, California
- February 8 – High Tech Middle Chula Vista, Chula Vista, California
- February 9 – Design39, San Diego, California
- February 9 – Vista Innovation & Design Academy, Vista, California
- February 15 – Kentucky Department of Education (statewide; virtual)
- February 22 – Creative City Public Charter School, Baltimore, Maryland
- February 22 – City Neighbors Hamilton, Baltimore, Maryland
- February 24 – Science Leadership Academy Middle School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- February 24 – Science Leadership Academy, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- February 27 – Centre Learning Community Charter School, State College, Pennsylvania
- February 27 – Delta Program Middle School, State College, Pennsylvania
- March 2 – Hudson Valley Sudbury School, Kingston, NY
- March 2 – The Randolph School, Wappingers Falls, NY
- March 3 – The Island School, New York, New York
- March 8 – LIFT, Mattoon, Illinois
- March 18-23 – Reggio Emilia, Italy
- March 29 – Kentucky Department of Education (statewide; virtual)
- April 1 – ASCD Conference, Denver, Colorado
- April 3 – Watershed School, Boulder, Colorado
- April 5 – Kentucky Department of Education (statewide; virtual)
- April 10 – Eminence Elementary School, Eminence, Kentucky
- April 10 – Grace M. James Academy of Excellence, Louisville, Kentucky
- April 11 – Explore! Community School, Nashville, Tennessee
- April 11 – Nashville Big Picture High School, Nashville, Tennessee
- April 12 – Clayton-Bradley Academy, Maryville, Tennessee
- April 13 – Drayton Mills Elementary, Spartanburg, South Carolina
- April 14 – The Mount Vernon School, Atlanta, Georgia
- April 14 – Drew Charter School Elementary Academy, Atlanta, Georgia
- April 20 – STEM School, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
- April 25 – Mountain Academy, Jackson, WY
- May 12 – Peakview Academy at Conrad Ball, Loveland, Colorado
- June 11-14 – InnEdCO Conference, Breckenridge, Colorado
- June 24-28 – ISTE Live, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- July 12-15 – NASSP Ignite, Denver, Colorado
- August-September – Colorado Association of Middle Level Education (virtual)
- October 26-28 – EARCOS Leadership Conference, Bangkok, Thailand
Books I read in February 2023
Books I finished reading (or rereading) in February 2023... An Ethic of Excellence, Ron Berger (education) How Children Fail, John Holt (education) The Practice, Seth Godin (marketing) The Redemption of Maribeth-5, Chloe Garner (sci fi) Beware the Dog, Dominique...
The International Schools Podcast
John Mikton and Dan Taylor were kind enough to invite me on the International Schools Podcast. John and Dan do a fantastic job of highlighting interesting things that are happening in the international schools space and they always have awesome guests on the podcast....
ChatGPT in education [WEBINAR]
I had the pleasure of being a panelist last night for the EdTechTeacher webinar on ChatGPT in education, which was moderated by Tom Driscoll. I was joined by Matt Miller of Ditch That Textbook and Jane Rosenzweig of Harvard College. The video is below or you can watch...
LeaderTalk Episode 002: Kelly Tenkely
Anastasis Academy is an incredibly-inspiring microschool serving grades K through 8 in Centennial, Colorado (USA). In Episode 002 of LeaderTalk, Kelly Tenkely describes the powerful trust that she has in educators and students. She also shares how the school leans...
Redesigning for Deeper Learning Episode 002: Elementary School Writing
Episode 002 of the Redesigning for Deeper Learning podcast is now available. Lori and I redesigned an elementary school writing lesson that aims to help students learn about natural disasters. Redesigning for Deeper Learning is a podcast in which we redesign lessons...
Changing your subscription to daily or weekly
No one wants to get multiple notifications a day from my blog. Not even me! You can change your Dangerously Irrelevant subscription to Daily or Weekly. Here’s how: Scroll to the bottom of any email that you receive from 'Dangerously Irrelevant | @mcleod' Click on the...