After much deliberation, I’ve decided to do another online summer book club. I’m supposed to be taking the summer off but last year’s discussion of Influencer: The Power to Change Anything was so much fun that I can’t resist doing it again…
This year’s reading for the CASTLE summer book club will be Why Don’t Students Like School? A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for Your Classroom. The author is Dr. Daniel Willingham, Professor of Psychology at The University of Virginia.
- We start June 15. Be ready.
- Keep up with the reading. No excuses.
- Be an active participant in our online discussion area.
- Dissect ideas vigorously but also be nice to other discussants.
- Help foster interesting dialogue and connected community.
- 6/15 to 6/21 – Introduction, Chapter 1, and Chapter 2 (40 pages)
- 6/22 to 6/28 – Chapters 3 and 4 (40 pages)
- 6/29 to 7/5 – Chapters 5 and 6 (32 pages)
- 7/6 to 7/12 – Chapters 7 and 8 (34 pages)
- 7/13 to 7/19 – Chapter 9, Conclusion, and Wrap-Up (20 pages)
This offer is open to all leaders and change agents, at whatever level they’re operating (hint: this might be a good summer activity for some of your local principals or superintendents!).
I’m looking forward to some interesting discussions. Hope some of you will join me this summer!