I’ve been tagged by several people to participate in the 8 Random
Things meme. I usually don’t post about personal stuff on this blog, but
given that my last
post opened me up a bit, here goes…
- Superman : Kryptonite. Me : birthday cake or Dove dark chocolate.
- I spent four summers working at Camp Nock-A-Mixon, a summer camp for
wealthy Jewish kids from New York, New Jersey, and Philly, the last three
supervising five bunks of 6– to 9–year-olds. It was a fantastic experience where
I learned that even the well-to-do have issues, fell in love with bagels and
lox, and picked up a little Yiddish.
- I was the first untenured professor in the University of Minnesota College
of Education and Human Development to ever win the college’s Distinguished
Teaching Award. I’m pretty proud of that one.
- I’m the only member of my immediate family that swims more like a rock than
- My three favorite books of all time may be Ender’s Game, The Dragonbone
Chair, and Beyond Discipline:
From Compliance to Community (the latter should be required reading for
every educator across the globe). I’ll read anything I can find by Orson Scott
Card, Tad Williams, Alfie Kohn, Jonathan Kozol, George R.R. Martin, or Richard
- I think The College of William & Mary might the greatest place in the world to spend your undergraduate years.
- I’m a big fan of indoors. Outside has allergies, heat, dirt, bugs, etc. If I were a character on Little House on the Prairie, I’d be the sickly kid in the back room that was the shame of my parents and died at age 7.
- When I was 10 my dad thought it would be cool to buy me a tarantula. I would
lie awake for hours every night, afraid that if I fell asleep it would get out
and I would wake up to find it crawling up my chest toward my face.
another 5 random things if you’re interested. Seems like this is a recurring meme. I’ll
look forward to the next one (4 random things? 10 random things?).